How to Document
- Be timely – don’t try to “build a case” after the fact;
- Stick to the facts;
- What you see or hear – what would be on a video tape;
- Include the full story; be accurate and specific;
- If handwritten, write legibly in ink;
- Sign and date all documents;
- Document consistently.
- State the job performance problem – be specific.
- What is the problem? When did it first occur?
- How and when has this been previously addressed?
- What effect has the problem had?
- On you, the company, co-workers?
- What changes need to take place? Be Specific!
- What are the deadlines? Be Specific!
- When (and how) will the outcomes be accomplished?
- What are the consequences? Be Specific!
- State clearly, especially if termination is a possibility.